Morice Camping 2008

Sunday, June 29, 2008

 

Camping Day One

Camping 2008 Day One
June 28, 2008

Day one of the Morice 2008 camping trip!

Friday we picked up the rented camper and Saturday we set out -

I must say we looked cool setting out with our beautiful, fully equipped pop up camper. What could possibly go wrong? No tent stakes to lose, even if it down pours we stay dry and a list two pages long in 12 point font ensures that we couldn’t possibly forget a thing. I have a good feeling about this trip!

Well, the skies were scary on the way. The rain was intense and the camper made driving in the rain so much more fun. But we trudged on with the blind assurance that when we reached the camp site the skies would clear just for us! And they did! Well, until it was time to set up the camper…..



Then the rain began again and the mosquitos found what they were looking for….fresh meat. A neighboring camper even said how much fun they had watching each new resident arrive and spend the next 15 -20 minutes being consumed by mosqitos. The bugs are the worst he’s seen in all his years of camping. Lucky us.

We, of course, packed bug spray but couldn’t locate it for 15 mintues. The bugs had no other victims for 30 miles around apparently. We were attacked instantly and each one of us had bites that made our skin swell to such a degree that it developed a shiny “tauntness” to it. here's a picture of a ggod bite Selah got on her eye...

We were so blessed to be able to nurish the local wildlife! The kids were very happy to seek refuge in the camper once it was up!


We saw some great wildlife, too! A field full of nursing cows – the “little baby moo cows” (as Selah calls them) were really cute. There are some sort of cranes or egrets all around that have young with them as well and deer everywhere.



Also, there was the most beautiful Oriole darting around the lake. I tried to take a picture, but it was too dark. I’ll put the photo up here, but all you can see is the blur of orange.

You’ll have to trust me that the bird was amazing!

Then the skies completely cleared in time to make a fire, cook smores and watch the stars come out.

It’s always so amazing how many more stars they have out in the country! And Tony saw a shooting star! (or so he says. Suspiciously, no one else saw it. Hmm……)

While we were enjoying the stars, a large and noisy bullfrog joined the night chorus. It was so cool to listen to the range of sounds he could make. Until we wanted to sleep….the thing never shut up all night long!!!!! Me, the animal lover, found myself telling Tony that if he had to get up to go to the bathroom at night, bring rocks and hit the frog to quiet him! I’m ashamed to admit it, but he never stopped ALL NIGHT LONG! You’d think he’d have to sleep some time!

Sleeping on matresses instead of cold hard ground is definitly the way to camp. I will never camp any other way! However, sleeping with Selah is HORRIBLE! She wiggles like crazy, but worst of all she grinds her teeth with such intensity I don’t have any idea how she can possibly have teeth left! We have got to contact a dentist about that when we get home!


Comments:
Blinn is terrible to sleep with too! She's like a fish out of water, flopping all over, climbing on my head, climbing off of my head, climbing back on to my head... it's impossible!! :)
 
Wait till she's THIRTEEN! Briana won't even sleep with me, not even for a nap! But she's a famous kick-boxer in her sleep, talker of cocoa puffs, and you never know what end your head will be when you wake. ;oD
Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself, even the bullfrogs. Tell Tony I believe him more aboutthe shooting star than Briana promising she saw a running buffalo on the way down to Gatlinburg. We've really enjoyed visiting my sister and CoCo. Remember the baby who wouldn't eat, crawl, talk...etc. Well! She's runner! And at my grilled chicken last night and more grapes than she should've but I was just so amazed with her progress I just couldn't say no. (This is the God we serve!)And she calls me Goji or Joji, but then again, so does Selah, so I'm used to it.
Tell Cody to bring me home a rock. Not a big one, just a stone. I'm making something and I'm about one-special stone short..ha ha
Be safe, enjoy the sounds and smells, I wish I was hearing a crackling fire under the stars right now, and tell your new neighbors they can borrow some of your mosquitoes for dinner..ha ha
See you soon- Jodee and Briana
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

June 2008   July 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]